Saturday, June 27, 2009

old hippies in the skies

went to brooklyn to find a cabinet magazine. I ended up in a rough hispanic town where i kept getting glances. i found the address to find an old man sitting in front saying "ive lived here for fourty years, aint no cabinets." So i left brooklyn. Walked accross the bridge. So many people thought of this idea also, as the walkway was a jamm of mixed languages, races, flashes, smells, trasportation devices, etc. I then stopped at barnes and noble and bought the magazine there.
stopped at union square to see a huge gathering of about 5000 people watching a micheal jackson look -a-like dance marathon. The police showed up saying no music was allowed to be played in union square, and people got really pissed. A riot broke out, and the police called the riot brigade. It ended as quickly as it started.
I have heard michael jackson music (since he died) about every hour. I hated it before, and I hate it even more.
Went to a bar that a load of couchsurfers were attending so I could meet some people. They were giving out name tags, so I left. I hate name tags and the whole organization of meeting people in which it creates.
next
went to PS1, a section of the MOMA. IT was by far even more amazing that MOMA, a really good conceptual art galllery that is non-profit, so people do what they want to do because they want to do it. Huge installations, by a number of artists, and it is in the first public school in queens. Later I took the subway to the world trade centre. The station has tiled eyes on the walls for decorations, which i found really creepy that follow you all from the street to the platform. When I emerged from the station the sky was this grey/black and there was thunder pounding everywhere, people were running in every which way. I was terrified, I thought there was another attack or there was a reinactment of the whole thing. Turned out it just started to pour, thunder, lightning, wind and all that. Strange because just an hour ago it was the hottest and most humid weather to date. The sky was a huge cobweb of lightning. Within minutes I was the only one on the street, being from the northwest, I have been carrying around a rain jacket everyday, and was well protected. I walked around for hours in the storm witnessing the intesnity of the storm. I really wish we had weather like this back home.
Walked to St. Marks to this vintage clothing shop, where I met the owner, a lady who was singing Janis Joplin from New Zealand. I talked to her for over an hour, she gave me her contact info, and said that if I wanted to I could stay with her and her family in Brooklyn after she gets back from Montreal on the 4th of July. It would have been fun, she was carrying about an ounce of marijuana under her wing and a black coffee under the other. She said that her visa will expire in a year and if I ever end up going to New Zealand I will have a place to stay. She gave me a really good deal on a t-shirt and I left.
I have mosquito bites all over my body.
Ate the best sushi Ive ever had, and if you spend over $6, you get 50% off.
When I was leaving I noticed hundreds of people staring up into the sky which was a dark yellow/pink almost brown too. Everyone was pointing and taking pictures. I looked and got the chills. The clouds, there were also hundreds of them but they were all in funnel shapes pointing down, as if they were dripping cloud ooze. It was so bizzarre, I have never seen clouds like this before. I love the feeling of being helpless in the hands of nature.
bought a $4 bottle of wine and listened to goof music with people in the hostel and then had better than the best pizza Ive had.

No comments:

Post a Comment