Thursday, June 25, 2009

the shakes, the runs, the views, the people, the noise, the sights, the etc.

coney island is a creepy paradise. no other place gave me so many chills in such a short time frame. I saw giant rats and snakes, a headless woman, a four-armed student and two headed horse all in one place. It was both "entertaining and educational!" I rode the wonder wheel. Wasnt that wonderful. Everything is supposed to be cheerful, but everything is dingy, decaying, and the carnies, are really authentic: their hands are like boiled popcorn hands, and they yell at just about everyone. I walked out to the beach on a peir that Ive dreamed about before coming to new york.
Earlier on in the day I went to the International Centre "Center" for Photography. The exhibit was featuring Richard Avedon. It was amazing to see his prints.
On the subway I oversaw 3 business types exchange perscription drugs and ingest them. Their converstaion ranged from gossip about fellow employees, fashion, and being sore from over exercising. The drugs they mixed were xanith (spelling) and something that started with a v. they were also robots.
Went out that night to a good bar with the people from the hostel. The jukebox had really good music, and pints were $2. I met a guy there who reminded me of Robin Williams, he was so extroverted and loud. He squats in abandoned flats in the city and turns them into artists lofts. He was with this girl who was wearing an egyptian gown with triangles on it, smoking a really long straight cigarette, who was really amazing at pool, everything about her were angles: her elbows, glasses, legs. She was an angle, an acute angle.
Anyway this was about the time when I got food poisioning, from cheap indian food I had earlier that day. I had to listen to my bowels and run back to the hostel, ending my night early. As a night cap I downed a pepto bismol on the rocks.
Woke up around 5am still poisioned.
8am still poisioned, thinking I may have ingested rat pesticides.
10am, 100 percent refreshed.
I made my way to the Rockefeller centre where I rode an elevator 75 stories up to the rooftop. Got a good view. Took some touristy pictures of other tourists taking touristy pictures.
GOD I went to the MOMA, now that I have seen all the works that Ive cared about, what the point of going on? I mean everything I cared about for so long and wanted to see, I just saw! From the surrealists, to dadaists, to old schools and new schools of photography. I was there for about 6 hours. They kicked me out at closing. The only thing that sucked was the price to get in. $30!
Ate a slice of the best pizza Ive ever had.
Today
I wondered around had espresso made from a robot, the experience was good but the coffee was shit.
Wound up on top of an old subway line above ground that they turned into a park. Huge trees, grass and ferns were engulfing the old line. Alot of people were there. Theres alot of people everywhere. Ended up accidently finding B&H photography store. The whole place is run by jews. Everyone has one of those hats and long curly strands of hair. To buy something you go through 3 different lines. 1 - tell someone what you want to buy - they then put it on a track that follows the ceiling to the pick up line 2 - you pay for your goods in a different line 3- after your goods arrived via conveyor belt you pick up your goods at the last line. I dont have time to reread that to see if it makes sense, hopefully it does.
And now I am back in that library, where I drew for a few hours before my internet time, which I am occupying now. I am going to go to walk over the brooklyn bridge later tonight, then meet with a few couchsurfers at a bar at 8.
weather report:
SUNNY! if you move to fast, everything gets sweaty.

No comments:

Post a Comment